Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bountiful Baskets

We got our first basket from Bountiful Baskets last week.  It was great!  The ordering has a bit of learning curve, but is not difficult :)  The basket is a wonderful surprise of a close to 50% vegetable and 50% fruit mix.  Saturday's basket included a small honeydew melon, a few avocados, 5 large tomatoes, a pineapple, lots of small red potatoes, apricots, 3 mangoes, big head of leaf lettuce, a spinach bunch, a banana bunch, and a container of blackberries for $15.  They also have add-ons if you buy a basket, so I ordered a sourdough add-on that was 5 loaves of sourdough for $10.  Everything was great, the avocados needed eaten soon, but that is not a problem.  This will be a great option until the garden picks up on the weeks we are going to the town with the nearest pick up location.  I like that they use local ingredients to them when possible, obviously some of the things will never be local to Utah (where they are located) but that they try and support a local community is important to me.  I love my farmer's market and my garden even more, but we buy produce other times of the year because we have a cold winter and I think this will be wonderful as a source of food for our family.  They also offer an organic basket each week for $25, when our income increases I will be getting the organic instead :)

No comments: